Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

strong wheat flour vs. strong white bread flour

I want to try a bread recipe in Magnus Nilsson's The Nordic Cookbook, but in the recipe he calls for both "strong wheat flour" and "strong white bread flour". I know "strong flour" refers to bread flour (as the American equivalent), so is "strong wheat flour" supposed to mean whole wheat bread flour? or something else? Can someone tell me the difference between the two?

asked by Katherine 7 months ago
2525f653 b225 4c8f 9925 212187a6f013  2aea6da

I don't have an answer to your flour question (sorry!) but I am curious how you find the cookbook? I saw him on Mind of a Chef and am intrigued by the cookbook but live in Louisiana and don't exactly forage through a Swedish forest for my ingredients (which is how I picture the cookbook's instructions). Am I totally wrong?

I like the cookbook because he's very upfront about the fact that you're not going to be able to cook every recipe, but it's more of a cultural product that allows you to learn about the place and the food. You're not wrong, as I am never going to be able to find pine bark flour here (nor would I try), but the cookbook is interesting for me nonetheless.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

The Nordic Cookbook does have its pine bark flour, but it's not nearly so much like that as Fäviken, which I reviewed as. Piglet Community Pick https://food52.com/blog...

Rather, it's a wide but selected snapshot of all Nordic foods, including some weird favorites like Chilling Creamed Chicken and Banana Casserole, which was apparently poplar in the 1970s and 80s. Nilsson did lots of research, but frequently the recipes are written as the way he likes to do them. There are a bunch of other oddities I'd love to discuss too. I sometimes wonder what I'd say in a longer review.

F92231df 227e 4486 9cc8 279621ca1481  harvest party

I would guess by wheat flour he means whole wheat. Is there a picture or any way to know if it is expected to be a whole grain bread?

There isn't a picture but it's definitely a whole grain bread as the rest of the bread is made with light rye flour and graham flour.

A1f55a3c 96b3 44ae a014 58ed6eae081a  fb avatar
Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey is known for his innovative no-knead bread recipe, popularized by the New York Times; he is the Founder/Owner of Sullivan Street Bakery, Chef/Partner of Co. Restaurant, and is the acclaimed cookbook author of "My Bread" and "My Pizza."

One would infer higher protein for strong. One could also ascertain that the translator did a lame ass job of transcribing the recipes. I like my coffee extra strong especially in the morning.

Which recipe is it? In his glossary, it would seem that he means that strong wheat flour and strong bread flour are the same thing, what we in the US would call bread flour. I do know from a lot of reading in his first book Fäviken that he uses flours more like our whole wheat.

The recipe is Scanian Rye Bread. I think I'm going to go with using whole wheat bread flour and see what happens.

Reading that recipe in the context of the glossary, I think he meant the same thing for both flours. But reading it in the context of his wider work, I bet you'll get a result closer to his if you use some whole wheat. Let us know how it works out--I'd like to make a note in my book.