Baking...1"inch tall pan vs. 2" pan?

I'm making a cake but have a 1" tall 9" cake pan...not a 2" tall one which is what I think the recipe calls for from the picture. How should I adjust my bake time?

asked by EG1231 almost 3 years ago

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

It depends on the density of your cake batter, but try cutting the time in half and checking it from there. When you learn to recognize a done cake, you'll never be limited by baking time again. Also, if you have a 9" springform pan, they work just as well! If you're ever in the market for cake pans again, I recommend sourcing ones that are 3" tall. I have lightweight Wilton cake pans, and they do me very nicely!

I would recommend making a collar with parchment paper to extend the height of your pan to the full 2".

I agree with half pint. I'm not sure how a shorter pan with the same diameter would change the baking time. I see danger in the batter rising above the edge and spilling out. Collars are easy to make.

I suppose I assumed they would be baking less batter in the 1" pans...which would absolutely change the baking time.

That's going to be a tough one to get by- probably you should either buy/borrow another pan or find another recipe.

Alyssa

I recently had the same problem. I chose to chance it with a quality spring form pan. It worked out great!