🔕 🔔

substitution for pan size and material

I'd like to make the "Brown Butter and Butternut Loaf" by fiveandspice. The recipe calls for two 9 inch loaf pans.

I have two 8.5 x 4 inch metal pans, and I have one pyrex(glass) 9x5 pan and one metal 9x5 pan.

Would it be better to bake in the 8.5 x 4 pans (similar pans), or; bake in the 9x5 pans, and what adjustments would I need to make to the baking times and temperatures, since the pans are of different materials?

Than you!

asked by Ted 2 months ago

Pending reply by fiveandspice:
1) 9" loaf pans have 8 cup capacity and 8.5" ones only 6c, so full recipe won't fit in two 8.5" pans
2) glass usually needs 25F lower temp and maybe longer to bake
3) in your shoes, I would make half the recipe and bake it in one of the the 9" loaf pans (original time & temp for metal, lower temp & perhaps a few minutes more for glass)
4) Second choice, use the two smaller metal loaf pans and bake any extra in a tiny ovenproof dish; also bake at original time & temp
5) whatever your pan choice, check about 15 minutes before end of recommended time, to see how cakes are progressing & then closer to full time. Adjust (more or less) as doneness indicates.