What to do with Barrata?

I bought a ball of Barrata for making Caprese, but found it's way too gloopy (is that a word?) for that. What's the best use for what's left - just a few ounces.

asked by lilroseglow about 3 years ago

Bevi

put on your fresh, garden tomatoes with olive oil, an acid, salt and pepper.

CanadaDan

Toss it in pretty much any pasta dish, into the sauce at the same time as you put in the pasta so it melts. Can't think of any pasta that isnt improved by adding burrata.

The best use for burrata? Eat it plain! Perhaps a crusty loaf of bread and a good wine could round it out.

cookbookchick

I like to make a starter out of burrata by topping each ball with a spoonful of cherry tomatoes roasted with garlic cloves, olive oil, and sea salt. (Toss together on a sheet pan and roast at 400 F until some of the tomatoes get a little blackened.) This is especially nice when the tomatoes, with their juices and the olive oil, are still warm from the oven, or rewarmed.

Cav
Cav

Gloopy is absolutely a word. And a good one.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Burrata should be gloopy, and I think it makes a heavenly caprese! I'm a fan of just a big ole burrata, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with flaked salt with a side of grilled crostini. Simple.

2 weeks ago I had a fantastic (I don't use that word too often) sandwich that had burrata, salami, prosciutto, tomato/olive tapenade. Sooo good...

Lidia Bastianich likes to serve it over gently steamed broccoli rabe. The natural sweet creaminess of the burrata against the bitter assertiveness of the broccoli rabe form a perfect harmony. Lay the cooled broccoli rabe out in two rows on a serving plate. Oh so gently slice the ball of burrata in half across the middle, taking care not to spill out its delicate strands of its creamy center (because the are so "gloomy," a perfect description), and set the halves cut-side-up on top of the broccoli rabe. Drizzle everything with good olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt, and enjoy an Italian feast.

The strands of its center are gloopy, not gloomy. Damn autocorrect.

MTMitchell

Cut up good ripe peaches and tomatoes into small-ish chunks. Toss with a little olive oil, balsamic (good) and basil, maybe a little pepper. Mound it on a pretty platter and put some crostini or good bread around it. Put the burrata on top, cut into it a little so as to show off the best of its gloppiness, and serve.