Leftover pumpkin puree

I know it's early in the season, but I had an insatiable craving for pumpkin muffins last week so I had to make some. They were delicious but now I have a little over a cup of pumpkin puree left over and I can't look at another pumpkin muffin. Any great recipes using pumpkin puree? I'm interested in sweet or savory!

asked by Sarah Marx about 3 years ago

buzz it into a smoothie or milkshake
add to a lasagna (use plenty of nutmeg and cheese)
add to a risotto
make little tarts
mix in a cheesecake recipe and bake mini cheesecakes for cocktails, snacks, dessert

jilhil

For sweeter uses you can add it to oatmeal, pancakes, waffle batter or just bake it in a small casserole with a little milk, butter and sweet spices.

But, there are many more savory uses for it. Pumpkin will work in just about any recipe that uses puréed butternut squash. (If you used canned pumpkin chances are you may have some butternut squash in the mix already). I'd probably use it in a risotto.

CanadaDan

i second risotto...with some sage in there and a drizzle of brown butter it's amazing. i actually made one one year and started with finely diced apples instead of onions and it worked really well.

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

Saute some shallot, garlic, ginger and your favorite curry spices, then dump in the pumpkin and cook it down a bit. You can then make a sauce with some stock (chicken or veg), coconut milk or yogurt and toss it with poached/roasted chicken, roasted root vegetables, cauliflower, cashews, chickpeas, green peas, rice, more pumpkin, etc.

ORrrrrrrrrrr.....a pumpkin souffle, crème brûlée, panna cotta, bread pudding.....

Cav
Cav

Last time I had a small amount of pumpkin puree left over, I stuck in the freezer and forgot about it. Nine months later my wife gives birth, and four months on I finally remember I had the puree and fed it to him. Kind of a drastic way to use up pumpkin puree though.

It is incredible in an autumnal risotto, with hazel nuts. (the pumpkin, not the baby)

Voted the Best Answer!

Ahh yes, the ole autumnal baby-hazelnut risotto....an ancient Tuscan delicacy....

Hi, I'm Brian.

You know, ever since the obscene heat has subsided I've also been craving autumnal foods. One of my fall backs is sweet potato gnocchi with brown butter and sage (you should be able to Google it). Pumpkin can be used in place of sweet potato, and the great thing is you can freeze the uncooked gnocchi!

Hi, I'm Brian.

Panfusine

saute some diced onions and minced garlic, add some chili flakes, a pinch of turmeric , garam masala , tomato paste and salt along with the pumpkin puree, cook down to a thick paste. Fold in some cooked Basmati rice, drizzle some lemon juice and serve up garnished with chopped cilantro (or dill)

I have a dog who lives for pumpkin puree. Fresh or canned..makes no difference to her. I freeze it in spoonfuls and toss it in a zip lock. I've caught her staring at the freezer longingly at times.

Garlic Fiend

We give it to our cats for the extra fiber to treat and prevent hairballs. Works great!

rt21

Pumpkin scones or pumpkin soup !!

See also the current thread about using up surplus sage...maybe helpful to you.