What herbs do you like to use when making savory pumpkin dishes? I have some roasted sugar pie pumpkin I plan to use in a savory pudding.

Thanks so much. ;o)

asked almost 7 years ago

JessicaBakes

Sage, definitely. Next come thyme, rosemary and then (not an herb, but totally yummy) carmelized onions. Enjoy! Winter squash is my favorite...I actually just made a risotto the other night with kabocha and these exact herbs!

JessicaBakes

Angela @ the well-worn apron

If you don't have your heart set on a pudding, pumpkin is wonderful in Thai green curry or any Thai curry. Mae Ploy is my first choice to use as a base. Add pumpkin your favorite chicken curry or go vegetarian and make pumpkin the star. Or try working some Thai flavors into your pudding.

lovesitc

I'm with @Jessicabakes . . . . Some sage, ricotta, mashed pumpkin . . . . makes for a wonderful pasta sauce.

I echo the sage & thyme recommendations. Another great combo is thyme, gruyere, and leeks with winter squash. I also like marjoram - it's camphoresque flavor goes nicely with the sweetness of pumpkin/squash.

healthierkitchen

I love sage and the other winter herbs, but I'm now wondering how cardamom, cumin and ginger would be?

Darlene Carrigan

When I make my savory pumpkin galette, I lean towards lemon thyme and rosemary. Blends nicely with gruyere!

Can you share your savory pumpkin galette recipe?

thirschfeld

rosemary and vanilla, maybe adding a touch of honey

mensaque

Without a doubt,good old fresh parsley and chives...the so called:"cheiro-verde"(or green-spirit).No respectable pumpkin in Brazil is to leave the kitchen without her parsley accessories on.And I have to (partially)agree with Angela,cause I often mix some yellow curry powder to pumpkin and it tastes great...

I love Tom's vanilla suggestion. And thyme will never let you down, nor marjoram.

Raquelita

i love to use a little miso, ginger, chili, pepper and flavorful oil to rub on the insides of my winter squash before roasting. niiice and savory.