How to you make pizza dough so it puffs up? My wife makes the Artisanal Bread in 5 Picoseconds a Month, but it comes out a little flat. I w

Puffy Pizza Dough

asked by Marcmarc almost 3 years ago

How hot was the oven? A screaming hot oven (~500F) can really make a difference in rise. It often provides 'oven spring' to bread.

I'm not familiar with the recipe you mention, but pizza dough is just bread. In order to puff, as with rustic style breads, you want a moist dough with a loose structure; it should be kneaded little or not at all, be as moist as can reasonably be handled. Also, medium gluten flour works better than high gluten bread flour for this. A dough rolled flat should produce a reasonable rim as long as the edge is kept clear. A hand stretched dough will be naturally thicker toward the edge; if you want a larger rim on a rolled crust, you can bunch up the edge a bit or even roll it over a bit; yeast doughs will heal very fast. It will puff more in a very hot oven.

marynn

If you can, get a pizza steel to augment the hot oven. Double check your yeast's expiration date. And cheat--I add about a third more yeast than called for before I cold ferment the dough.

cookbookchick

Marcmarc, in case you aren't aware of it, the pizza steel Maryann refers to is also called the Baking Steel. I love mine! Check out their website at baking steel.com. There may be other manufacturers, but this was the original. I got mine from King Arthur, made by Baking Steel.

TheFritschKitchen

I use Smitten Kitchen's lazy pizza dough, recipe on her site. It is very easy to throw together and rises beautifully and blistery in the oven!