🔕 🔔

Gutting Mackerel

Was planning to grill whole but gutted mackeral. I'm not sure its totally gutted. Health,taste -wise how clean should the cavity be? I picture us eating the crispy skin and flesh and not getting close to inner cavity. Thanks

asked by punkinpie over 2 years ago

Cd2951d7 3dce 4f7e 9c1e e215e64cae33  transparent 600px

The cavity will be quite clean after you gut the fish properly and rinse it out. Remember that the Japanese eat mackerel raw (they call the fish "saba").

Gutting boned fish is mostly the same, regardless of the species.

I suggest you go to YouTube and just search for "gutting fish." My guess is that there are tens of thousands of videos about this and some of them are well done.

Here's one of a guy gutting a trout: https://www.youtube.com...

Despite the fact that it's a trout and not a mackerel isn't all that important since the technique is the same.

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Agree with cv but I find that instead of a knife, you might try a pair of sharp kitchen shears. Makes my life easier!