🔕 🔔

2f4926e2 248b 4c22 a6f7 8f2d888b8488  3 bizcard

I made a roast chicken yesterday with nice crisp skin. I baked covered at 350 until the chicken was done, then cranked up the heat to 450, brushed with soft butter and let it brown. Took about 15 minutes and the chicken was tender and juicy with crisp skin. I am sure there are lots of different methods but this worked great for me.

Cd4936f2 2555 42a6 bab6 b78ae625f4ec  img 3538

I use Thomas Keller's recipe and it never fails. I suspect it's the amount of salt. We eat this chicken almost every other week and certainly every month. And honestly after reading a Jacques Pepin recipe for roast chicken I rarely even truss the bird anymore. Seriously, it's as easy as throwing the bird in the oven and waiting. http://www.epicurious.com...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I coat with oil and put on a sprinkle of "Wondra Flour" Just a bit, not a 'fried chicken' like coating.

It helps hold down the oil and adds a bit of crunch to the skin.
It's not normal flour but a pregelatinized flour mixed with a bit of barley with a slight grain to to the texture, so it's great for making crispy crusts.
It's sold on blue tube/canisters with a shaker top which makes it very easy to dust on, and if you don't have it or know it; you should. It's magic.

79ca7fa3 11e3 4829 beae d200649eab49  walken the walk

My method is to rub the bird down with olive oil and and a generous a moment of sea salt. I always test for doneness with a Thermapen.

Dry brine with copious amounts of coarse salt, then place on a rack over a pan, and let air-dry, UNCOVERED, in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Make sure the bird is well-dried before you salt it, and really rub the salt in well all over the skin. You can shove some sprigs of herbs (rosemary, thyme, sage) under the skin over the breast and thighs if you want. And a little ground black pepper would help too. No trussing, just tuck the wings under. NO oil or butter. Then place on an oiled rack over a roasting pan, breast side up. Toss some potato chunks into the pan, and drizzle with olive oil. Do not oil or butter the bird. Put into an oven you've preheated to 500°F for at least an hour, and turn the temp down to 475°. Roast breast side up for 25 minutes, flip and return the bird to the oven. Reduce the heat to 450° and roast breast down for 15 minutes. Flip the bird again, breast up, and stir the potatoes to make sure they're not sticking or burning. You want them absorbing the dripping chicken fat. Roast another 10 or so minutes to re-crisp the breast skin and get the chicken to 165° internally. Pull and rest for 10 or so minutes, loosely covered. You could make a pan sauce from the drippings, and from the juice that will exude while the bird is resting.

2269774e 64e7 47ec 8fb3 d6fb03cce199  debbykalk photo

Perfect timing - from today's NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com....

C96a7ca4 226e 40d7 93f8 a8f7ca892ea3  stringio
Michael Ruhlman

Michael is a food critic and established cookbook author -- Ruhlman's Twenty and Egg: A Culinary Exploration are the most recent additions to his vast body of work.

give the skin a good uniform dose of kosher salt, bake one hour in a 450 degree oven, let rest 15 minutes.

99988d06 447b 42cb 882b b91e16b76a4a  hp scands 842919525854

Dry, dry, dry, in that oven - no herbs necessary, no citrus, nothing. Just the bird, salt, and pepper. Lack of crispness results when the bird steams because moist ingredients are present and give up their moisture while cooking.

Edfe409e 4744 406a 98e8 9c239638ad31  img 1965

I kind of do the opposite from sdebrango. I put olive oil, salt, pepper and herbs on it and then put it into a 450 oven for the first 15 to 20 minutes. Then turn it down and baste periodically until done. I've also heard good things about putting the chicken uncovered in the fridge for a few hours before cooking so that the skin gets nice and dry, but I'm usually too disorganized to do this.

how do I get crispy skin I see on store bought chickens on my homemade roast chicken? High heat? Butter?

sorry hit wrong copy/paste file