I forgot to add maple syrup to my brine, and now my turkey is all dried and ready to roast.

Can I do something to make it sweeter without sacrificing the crispy skin? I have 5 hours to get it in the oven.

asked by Erika Spears 25 days ago

Azora Zoe Paknad
Azora Zoe Paknad

Zoe is an Account Executive at Food52.

Hi Erika! You could certainly go either way. The turkey will be delicious if you just allow it to rest in the fridge now that you've dried it off post-brine. You could also do another few hours of brining before go-time, I would just worry about any residual maple syrup causing the bird of the skin to brown too soon in the oven, so you would likely need to rinse off the brine and dry the turkey again post-brine #2. Whichever route you choose, I'm sure it will be delicious-- you could always doctor up your gravy to get the salty-sweet balance of each bite to your preference!

Erika Spears

Okay, thank you. I feel less freaked out, now!

Erika Spears

Doing the second brine, do I need to add all the same ingredients as the first brine, or just salt water and maple syrup?

Azora Zoe Paknad
Azora Zoe Paknad

Zoe is an Account Executive at Food52.

Erika-- your call! I'm not sure what ingredients were in your first brine, but if you're just looking to add a little sweetness into the equation, I am guessing salt and maple brine will accomplish that just fine!