🔕 🔔

How long should hominy take to cook

I am making Heidi Swanson's green pozole recipe today. I did not do an overnight soak for the hominy, but did bring it to a boil and allow to soak for an hour, then changed the water and started to cook it. It has been cooking for almost 4 hours now, but has not "cracked" and it is still very chewy. I do not own a pressure cooker. Anyone know how long I can expect it cook? Should I run out and buy a can of hominy??

asked by erinbdm almost 2 years ago

Yikes..that's a really long time. I've rarely had it take longer than 2 hours, but I've always soaked it for 12 hours. Dried is so much better than canned. If it's chewy, it's making progress. If this is a time sensitive endeavor, maybe you should go grab the canned just in case.

In Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone, Deborah Madison writes that it can take hours to cook.