🔕 🔔

Maple Persimmon Upside-Down Cake. Turned out of pan & persimmons are BLUE?! Topping: maple syrup/butter/fruit, cast iron. Funky but safe?! Or toss it?

This is the recipe from Food52 Baking (p. 105). I have no idea if this is a safe but odd phenomenon, or something less safe. Again...persimmons + maple syrup + melted butter in bottom of cast iron with cake batter on top. Turned out cake and persimmons have a definite blue tinge.

asked by Kelsey Sandvall 3 months ago

39bc764f 7859 45d4 9e95 fc5774280613  headshot 2.0 crop

I've seen this happen with red cabbage and with rhubarb before and it was a harmless reaction between the cast iron and the anthocyanins, which a quick google tells me persimmons are full of too. Funky but safe!