I need to make a finger food appetizer for a party. Would like to make Moro's squash/chickpeas but chickpeas fall off toothpicks. Suggestions?

I need to make a finger food appetizer for a party. Would like to make Moro's squash/chickpea recipe but chickpeas fall off toothpicks. Suggestions? Wrap a piece of lettuce around a spoonful, secure with a toothpick and hope people don't try to pick it up that way?

CookOnTheFly
CookOnTheFly November 1, 2015

You could serve it with Chinese soup spoons. Good luck!

jbfalise
jbfalise November 1, 2015

Maybe make them into patties

Nancy November 1, 2015

Follow jbalise idea of patties.
Or: slice the squash so it can be a base (as a piece of bread or toast would be in a canapé), mash the chickpeas and rest of ingredients (coarse or fine, your call) and spread on the squash pieces.

Sam1148 November 1, 2015

A good solution to a handheld salad item is rice paper wrappers. Wet the wrappers and they become flexible and you wrap like a egg roll. Any Asian store will have these.
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Ladies-Spring-Paper-Wrappers/dp/B00437EN2C

Here's a good "How to" on working with the wrappers.
http://www.vietworldkitchen...

702551
702551 November 1, 2015

Your primary choices are an edible wrapper like the previously mentioned rice paper wrapper or something like filo dough, the spoon (which is decidedly more realistic for a catering company that has large amounts of serving pieces/utensils/dishwashing resources), or using the item as a topping on another edible item (like bruschetta-style toast points or maybe a bite-sized tortilla chip/cup or maybe pre-baked tartlette shells).

Wrapping in lettuce with toothpicks is certainly do-able, but will require a fair amount of manual labor.

I suggest you experiment with a number of approaches and based on your assets (human resources, facilities, and budget), select an appropriate method based on what works best for your particular event.

Good luck.

LittleMissMuffin
LittleMissMuffin November 18, 2015

Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I made r the squash into canapés as suggested by one and mashed the chickpeas with tahini to spread on top. Everyone loved it! I would insert a pic but can't seem to get that option here

702551
702551 November 18, 2015

When you hit the "Reply" button, an "Add Image" button appears in the lower left corner of the reply text box. Press the button and you will be prompted to select a photograph from your computer.

Anyhow, glad to hear it worked out.

Nancy November 19, 2015

So glad the idea worked out for you and your guests!...would you change anything if you made this appetizer again, or repeat as you served it?