A question about a recipe: Barbara Kafka's Simple Roast Turkey

8894d347 27c4 47ce 82f4 617bf584e192  2015 1027 barbara kafkas high heat roast turkey bobbi lin 3173

I have a question about the recipe "Barbara Kafka's Simple Roast Turkey" from Food52. I LOVE this technique for chicken (also Kafkas!), but why no salt this time?

asked by meet your baker about 3 years ago

My speculation for the lack of salt in the turkey recipe is the likelihood that your typical supermarket turkey will be pre-brined. A fancy fresh heirloom turkey will not be brined, but ordinary birds are.

Your standard grocery store chicken is still much less likely to be brined today, although there is more brining in bags of chicken parts, etc. these days so look very closely at the label.

I was so suspicious I almost didn't follow the recipe, but I'm glad I did! It really is so juicy it does taste just fine without the salt (especially if gravy is nearby) but, that said, salt won't hurt if you want to hedge your bets.