macaroni cheese

I am making mac and cheese,for my family, and only have strong white flour for the sorce can I use that instead of all purpose flour HELP

asked by liam over 2 years ago

liam

you can use any flour but plain is the best also you spelled source wrong!

Voted the Best Answer!

cookbookchick

Liam, some Food52 members are not English speakers.

tiffanylee

Wow. Source

You will be fine using the flour you have. it contains more gluten than all-purpose flour, which could cause your dish to over-thicken some. You can counter-act this by using a bit more butter, since fats have a tenderizing effect on proteins.

cookbookchick

I posted this on the Hotline app (just after my first comment about English speakers) when I realized the second post was also Liam's: "Oh, wait -- you also asked the question! LOL!" For some reason, some comments on the Hotline app don't post on the website. Why my comment got voted "best answer" is beyond me, a mistake for sure. I'll now join the chorus of members asking for an edit function on comments! My apologies, Liam! But you got a very good answer from Boulangere who really knows her stuff.