Immersion blender safety?

Does anyone have a recommendation for an immersion blender with built-in safety features? Reading this makes me wary of having one in the home, since when I'm most likely to want it will also be when I'm most fatigued: http://www.nytimes.com...

asked by catherinej over 2 years ago

Never heard of one with a safety feature.
If you're that wary,
*permit yourself to get more sleep (always nice) :),
*have cold ready-to-eat food around for when you're too tired to focus,
*do as people in the article did - buy a sturdier machine that does what you need and has some safety features.

Hmm..I can sort of see how this could happen, but my instincts of life preservation (or at least finger preservation) have me unplugging before I do any prying even when I pray with my skinny silicone spatula. I have a Breville and love it, but there is no safety feature on it.

Supposed to say "pry with my skinny silicone spatula". I rarely pray with it.

Michele

I have one that I love and safety isn't really an issue. As a serious soup maker it is so much easier than using my old blender. It only runs while your finger is pressing it and if you are holding the container that the liquid is in with your other hand there isn't any problem. When done just unplug.

catherinej

Thank you for this testimonial/words from personal experience.

I've also never seen one with a safety shut-off, and agree it's probably not realistic (as with many potentially dangerous tools when not properly handled.)
I do not, however, see how accusations of "stupidity" help convey that information.

1071292522

oldunc's comment is very communicative about the inability of device manufacturers to make up for the common sense deficiencies of users.

catherinej

Thank you for your comment. I very much appreciate it. My question was not about anyone's opinion (trolls or otherwise) but about whether anyone knew of a blender that *did* have built-in features.

1071292522

Try a viola.

Community Editor at Food52

I would like to remind everyone that the Hotline, and Food52 in general, is a welcoming space. This should go without saying, but we expect everyone to behave in a kind, considerate, and polite fashion. We all participate here in a constructive and collaborative manner, and anyone who does not -- those who engage in bullying, abusive or otherwise inappropriate manner -- are at risk of being banished from the site.

There is a difference between calling an action stupid and calling a person stupid. If you feel that it is anything less than an act of idiocy to stick your hand intro a plugged in blender you're welcome to your opinion, but please don't spread it to my children.

Unplug the device before sticking your fingers in the blade area. Caveat: I don't recommend inserting fingers in that area, even with the power off. You can still get a nasty cut. Use the stick end of a wooden spoon or a spreader or knife to dislodge any extraneous material that sticks therein.

Ali Slagle

I know a number of people who've gotten hurt from their immersion blender—including while off, when cleaning the blade—so I also wonder if there are ones that are safer than others. Thank you for raising this question!