Help finding a cookbook

I've been searching in vain for a copy of Fuchsia Dunlop's "Land of Plenty" for awhile now... Not trying to pay the $100+ price tag I see on Amazon and elsewhere, I've tried ordering it at list price from two different well-known websites but the order was "cancelled due to inventory issues" both times (IOW it was never in stock in the first place). Anyone know any good online cookbook sites that might have it? I'd even be okay with buying a used copy if that's all that's out there.

Nancy November 20, 2015

There must be some back-story here.
Thought you might have better luck at Amazon in the UK, where she is a very popular author.
Wrong.
"Land of Plenty" lists there £112-470
And "Sichuan Cookery" (the same text, earlier edition), lists for £45 (back to your $100+).

Meaghan F
Meaghan F November 20, 2015

I think it must be out of print... It was first published in 2003, and even the publisher's website lists it as out of stock. Thank you for looking!

cookbookchick
cookbookchick November 20, 2015

I'm also finding what you two found. Both Abebooks (owned now by Amazon, I believe) and eBay have copies, but the cheapest is $99 on eBay, used. Powell's doesn't even have it. You might try one of the copies for sale on eBay -- make an offer. At worst, they'll say no.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick November 20, 2015

Out of curiosity, why are you so interested in this book?

Maedl November 20, 2015

I’d send her an email and ask if there are plans to reprint the book.
http://www.fuchsiadunlop.com/contact/

Meaghan F
Meaghan F November 20, 2015

Good idea!! I'll try that!

marmar
marmar November 20, 2015

Is this an optical illusion? Could it be true?
http://www.overstock.com/Books-Movies-Music-Games/Land-of-Plenty-A-Treasury-of-Authentic-Sichuan-Cooking-Hardcover/465078/product.html

cookbookchick
cookbookchick November 20, 2015

It's real! Go for it, Meaghan F!!!

Meaghan F
Meaghan F November 20, 2015

One of the two sites that cancelled my order due to "inventory issues." :( (The other was Books-A-Million.)

cookbookchick
cookbookchick November 20, 2015

I just tried ordering one. So far, so good, but it hasn't shipped yet.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick November 25, 2015

Just got an email from Overstock.com refunding my money for the Fuschia Dunlop book. And yes, they are claiming it's because if an "inventory error." You'd think they'd have better inventory control! Oh, well..

Susan W November 20, 2015

Meaghan F, try it. My friend has the book and got it from Overstock.com!! It's a great book. I have Every Grain Of Rice also by Fuchsia. It has crossover recipes from Land Of Plenty.

Meaghan F
Meaghan F November 20, 2015

I ordered it from there and the status said "Processing" for three days, then yesterday it was cancelled due to "an inventory error." (Their words.)

Meaghan F
Meaghan F November 20, 2015

LOVE Every Grain of Rice - it inspired this hunt for LoP!! :)

HalfPint November 20, 2015

Wow, I got a used copy of this a few years ago and it was not $100. All my go-to used books sites are showing $100+, up to $250 (insane)

Susan W November 20, 2015

Amazon told me once that sellers will put a silly price like that when the book is not in stock. Then, when they get one, they put the price back down. Amazon doesn't do that, but the third party sellers do.

drbabs November 20, 2015

This is our local bookstore, and they say it's special order, but it's listed for $30.
http://www.bookpeople.com/book/9780393051773
Here's their contact info: 603 N. Lamar Blvd Austin, TX 78703 512-472-5050

Good luck!