How do you cook a fresh ham roast?

I now have two in my freezer, thanks to my local meat CSA. Can't seem to find a recipe for this in any of my cookbooks or online. Does it more commonly go by another name? Any help would be appreciated!

Ms Nickel
Ms Nickel March 24, 2011

I have cooked several of these--one last weekend! There are a number of ways to cook them--anywhere from "cureing" then slow smoking, and using like any ham...OR using it as you would any piece of LEAN pork. I brine mine with salt , sugar and herbs, apple juice and have used for stew, or a pulled pork. It's just pork, ham is the cut--from the back leg I believe. Cook wiht some stout beer and otehr spices...

hardlikearmour March 24, 2011

here's some info with several recipes that may be helpful:
http://www.oregonlive.com/foodday/index.ssf/2009/03/a_roast_that_rivals_ham.html

usuba dashi
usuba dashi March 25, 2011

There are many meals in a pork leg. Cut chops (gammon) from the butt end. . . . better than loin chops. Seam cut the leg into the basic muscle groups, Top, Bottom, Eye, Nuss (knuckle, or top sirloin) . . . just like a veal leg and cut scallopini. All the scrap pieces left from seaming can be minced and make wonderful rissoles. The hock makes great osso bucco. Just a few of so many ways to use a leg of pork.