I am making 7 layer rainbow cookies and need a substitute for almond paste. Many I am making for are allergic to tree nuts and peanuts. Any suggestion

I am making 7 layer rainbow cookies and need a substitute for almond paste. Many I am making for are allergic to tree nuts and peanuts. Any suggestions?

• Posted by: LRC
  • November 22, 2015

jilhil
jilhil November 22, 2015

It will change the flavor, but if your friends are not also allergic to seeds you could use a can of poppy seed filling in place of the almond paste

Susan W November 22, 2015

You should check with them, but almonds are not nuts. They are the seed of the flower from the trees. Do ask though.
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/04/almonds-are-not-nuts/

cookbookchick
cookbookchick November 22, 2015

According to the article you cite, Susan W., pretty much any botanical product commonly regarded as a nut really isn't. I would be very wary of using this information with regard to very real nut allergies. Here's some of what that article says: "Other “nuts” that aren’t include Brazil nuts, Cashews, Walnuts, Coconuts, Macadamia nuts, Peanuts, Tom Cruise, and Pistachios, among others. OK, so Tom Cruise is a nut, but in a totally non-botanical way." The article also says acorns and chestnuts are examples of "real" nuts according to the definition provided.

Susan W November 22, 2015

Which is why I said to check with her guests. I have Personal Chef clients who have nut allergies and tolerate almonds perfectly well. This is verified by their physicians. Yes..Tom Cruise is a nut.

Nancy November 22, 2015

Think of the almond paste not as nuts but as basically a layer of sweetness (it's a lot of sugar).
Like jilhil suggestion, these ideas will change the flavor, but may be pleasing:
* a jam or preserve (or a second one if you are already including one);
* if your people can tolerate chestnuts, creme de marron (sweetened chestnut purée).

chez_mere
chez_mere November 22, 2015

Tahini might work if sesame seeds are ok. But the flavor would be different... you might want to up the sugar a little bit, and the vanilla extract?

mickle
mickle November 22, 2015

How about a dense raspberry or cranberry preserve layer?

QueenSashy November 22, 2015

It will be difficult to replicate exactly the taste of almond paste, but texture-wise, chestnut paste comes really close, and I think it would add wonderful flavor to the cake. In which case I would then substitute almond extract with vanilla.