What is the best way to store green onions ( I used to call them "Spring onions"

They tend to wither any way I have tried. I have even tried leaving the root on, and storing them in a glass of water, in fridge. Have never been able to save more than a few days. I use them in many dishes, and even eat with a sandwich.

asked by Gloria West almost 3 years ago

rt21

I usually separate them and roll them up in paper towel ( like a cigar ) store in plastic in fridge ..... I also read that if you chop them up place in screw top jar and place in freezer , use as needed... Haven't tried this method yet

Gloria West

Do you trim off the root part before wrapping? I have used the paper towel idea, but never put in plastic bag or wrap. Will try both methods. I like the "jar idea" and never thought about freezing them. Thanks a "bunch" (green onion)

I use the same method rt21 uses. They last me a long time. In fact, I found some in the back of my produce drawer hiding. I think they are 8-10 days old and they were crisp and nice. I do wash, trim and dry them before storing them.

Gloria West

I have an abundant supply now, so, I'll try both ways. Thank you.

I'm not even sure why I trim the roots. If you leave the roots on some of them, report back if there's a difference in freshness. When I store them, I just stick the paper towel wrapped onions back in the produce bag I brought them home in.

rt21

I don't trim the root end off until I use them