Onion storage

What is the best way to store whole onions?

asked by kmac over 6 years ago

One trick used to store valdalia onions for long periods of time is to put them in panty hose, tie a knot in them..and add the next onion. Then hang them in a dark closet (preferably one without clothing).
You snip off each onion as needed and the knot keep the next one from falling out.
My Grandmother used to do this but I don't for lack of panty hose.

SeaJambon

Sam and ATG - you've both nailed it! (as usual). :)

I can see me going to store to buy panty hose. "I'm using these to store onions, no really, seriously..I mean...oh.."

cookbookchick

Sam -- I have lots of used-but-clean pantyhose I don't wear anymore now that I'm retired. Send me your address through Food52 messaging and I'll be happy to mail a few out to you!

The $1.89 Lunch Our Editor-in-Chief Swears By

Chickpeas to the Rescue

Curried Chickpea Sandwich

You can count the ingredients on one hand.

Simplest Homemade Doughnuts

Meatballs lend comfort on one family's journey from Mexico.

My Family Recipe: Mexican Meatballs

What's New in the Neighborhood

From weeknight favorites to regional classics.

12 Essential Italian Cookbooks