🔕 🔔

Onion storage

What is the best way to store whole onions?

asked by kmac over 5 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

One trick used to store valdalia onions for long periods of time is to put them in panty hose, tie a knot in them..and add the next onion. Then hang them in a dark closet (preferably one without clothing).
You snip off each onion as needed and the knot keep the next one from falling out.
My Grandmother used to do this but I don't for lack of panty hose.

Bac35f8c 0352 46fe 95e3 57de4b652617  p1291120

Sam and ATG - you've both nailed it! (as usual). :)

I can see me going to store to buy panty hose. "I'm using these to store onions, no really, seriously..I mean...oh.."

092efd1a f34b 461d 89b1 f3e76e0ce940  dsc 0028

Sam -- I have lots of used-but-clean pantyhose I don't wear anymore now that I'm retired. Send me your address through Food52 messaging and I'll be happy to mail a few out to you!