Onion storage

What is the best way to store whole onions?

asked by kmac over 6 years ago

One trick used to store valdalia onions for long periods of time is to put them in panty hose, tie a knot in them..and add the next onion. Then hang them in a dark closet (preferably one without clothing).
You snip off each onion as needed and the knot keep the next one from falling out.
My Grandmother used to do this but I don't for lack of panty hose.

SeaJambon

Sam and ATG - you've both nailed it! (as usual). :)

I can see me going to store to buy panty hose. "I'm using these to store onions, no really, seriously..I mean...oh.."

cookbookchick

Sam -- I have lots of used-but-clean pantyhose I don't wear anymore now that I'm retired. Send me your address through Food52 messaging and I'll be happy to mail a few out to you!