🔕 🔔

Onions

Whats the best way to store the unused portion of an onion? Or should it be stored at all? I hate recipes that call for 2T of chopped onion, leaving me with the vast majority of an onion to throw away.

asked by Baywife over 5 years ago

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in the 'fridge.

To store onions, whole, for long periods of time. Use some woman's nylon stockings. Put in a onion, tie a knot, add another, and knot---repeat. Then hang them up in a closet or good cool pantry.

I don't that anymore as I get strange looks when buying panty hose.

C1aa93d7 c7a4 4560 aa6d 6dca74cc98ca  smokin tokyo

Sam, you might ask female friends for stockings with runs in them, happens all the time, just thrown away.

I'm not if that would be better... 'hey, do you have any ahhhhh...old panty hose you aren't using--I need them to ahhhh store onions"

Dang you lack of "Edit Button"....I should have mentioned you snip off the onion you use below the knot. Onions will keep several months this way in a cool dark place.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Wrap cut onions with non-permeable plastic wrap (Glad Cling Wrap or Press 'n Seal) and store in the refrigerator until needed. Discard a thin slice of the onion before using the rest as the cut / exposed portion can take on a bitter flavor after a brief time.

This is a good example of LDPE's superiority over PVC-based plastic wraps.

120fa86a 7a24 4cc0 8ee1 a8d1ab14c725  me in munich with fish

This won't work for every recipe calling for small amounts of onion, but usually, I just use a shallot or two instead of onion (no onion leftovers) OR I just take a smallish onion and use the whole thing. Otherwise, the plastic wrap trick will work just fine.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

You can chop the rest of the onion and freeze it in a small container.
Or you can do the simplest thing in the world: Put the cut edge of the onion on a small plate or lid -- a flat surface, and put it in the fridge. In our house we use lots of onions, so it will only be there a day at most. The smooth dry outer shell of the onion won't dry out in such a short time, and I've never had trouble with onion smell transferring to other foods.
I have heard/read that onions and potatoes should not be stored together -- is that true?

Yes, it's true. The onions will cause an increase in solanine production in the potatoes and induce sprouting (which by itself increases solanine) -- a double whammy.

19f2e275 c635 488f 8322 530158a23e00  food52

I use a medium or small sized ziplock bag. My half used onions stay firm and crisp for quite a while in the fridge like this

I generally just go ahead and chop the whole onion. Measure out the amount I need, and then measure out the amount left and write what that is on a small freezer baggie. Put the chopped onion in the marked baggie and into the freezer. I do that with celery, carrots and peppers as well. It's amazing how handy those little baggies of chopped veggies come in when you're in a rush.