Quince

I poached quince the other night. After an hour asked my husband to turn them off, let them cool and put them away. I just checked them (planning to serve tomorrow) and they are still a little hard. Can I just put them back over heat again, or are they garbage now?

• Posted by: Jen!
  • November 23, 2015

Caroline Lange
Caroline Lange November 23, 2015

i think it would be fine if you put them back over the heat to finish cooking!

Leslie Stephens
Leslie Stephens November 23, 2015

And no harm in trying! (PS When Quince are cooked—and they always take longer than I think they will—one of the ways you can tell they're done is if they're slightly pink!)

Nancy November 23, 2015

Where did you/he put them away, please?

Nancy November 23, 2015

My recipes for various quince dishes all call for >one hour poaching, e.g. 1.25 to 2.5 hours.
If they were stored in the fridge, ok to resume cooking - and they will be delicious.

Jen!
Jen! November 23, 2015

They are in the fridge in their syrup!

Jan Weber
Jan Weber November 23, 2015

I find that the quince I buy in the USA can be rather tricky - and if you're poaching them, the larger pieces or halves will take a bit longer than you might expect to cook through. If you're not using much sugar in your recipe, there isn't really much of a dead giveaway unless you poke one with a knife for tenderness. Of course, if it's a recipe with sugar, you'll see them turn a rosy pink or even brick red when they're cooked.

I just made 1 kg of quince paste from a recipe I was given in Portugal, and despite being fiddly at first the quince cooked quite nicely and turned bright crimson red. However even then there were some hard bits I had to spoon out when I was transferring it from the pot.

Sandra
Sandra November 24, 2015

Yes you can put it back over heat. I usually like my quince a tad firm, especially if using as a poached fruit over yogurt or granola. If it turns to mush, then I make it into jam.