🔕 🔔

Poached Salmon: how far in advance?

I need to bring poached salmon to a seder on Tuesday night. I cannot prepare it on Monday or Tuesday. Can I poach it on Sunday and refrigerate it on its serving dish until Tuesday evening? Thanks in advance!

asked by Tarragon about 4 years ago

0a62c55f 38bb 4f00 aefc 1de6685070d9  stringio

NO! Every hour it sits, it changes texture and flavour. If you must poach a salmon, poach it immediatly before the event.

Thank you - I should have added that the salmon will be served cold on Tuesday, so it will have to be poached somewhat in advance anyway.

Another NO! You need to cook it on Tuesday. In fact, you should do it AT the event. Roasting it MIGHT allow you to cook it just before you go to the event, but salmon is not a "do-ahead" dish.

Not that far in advance though!

I wouldn't have expected these responses, actually. Does everyone agree that poached salmon can't be made ahead of time? What if you keep the liquid stored separately?

Thanks ATG, I was surprised too. I've poached salmon 12 hours in advance and a day in advance, and both times it was well received. I've now done some research. Thomas Keller says to refrigerate the salmon for up to a day in the poaching liquid. I'll probably try that overnight, then plate the salmon in the morning (well wrapped, of course). Hopefully it won't be too bad.

I'd venture to say you would be okay making it at least 1 day in advance, maybe 2. Though, I guess Keller would know best. I'd be wearier with other types of salmon preparations, which I think should be done relatively close to serving.

I never thought of holding it in the liquid. That is an excellent tip. If it works, I change my statement.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I've poached many salmons one day ahead. Has always been fine, in terms of both flavor and texture. Never tried to reheat it - has always been with the intention of serving it cold.

Thank you Amysarah, that does seem to be the consensus. I won't try to 2 day idea, at least not for this one!

I don't care who says it's okay. I wouldn't do it more than one day ahead. Are you serving it cold in the aspic the poaching liquid will create? I'd like fresh dill in that...

Thanks June - consensus seems to be one day. I'm not serving it in the aspic, but I'm serving it with a cold sauce that will have fresh dill in it.