🔕 🔔

Poached Eggs Mystery

Over the weekend I poached a dozen eggs at my parents' house - now, I've poached a lot of eggs in recent memory but never have they turned out like they did here. I followed my usual method, but each one ended up overcooked on the bottom even though the whites were almost raw on top. (I had to cook them almost twice as long as usual just to feel confident that the whites were cooked enough). Same with the yolk - half was the consistency of hard boiled egg, the other half nice and runny. The shape was also different, a bit flatter instead of a nice ball.

The only factors that I can come up with that were different are: induction cooktop, hard water (softened with salts), and the eggs are from a different area (Midwest versus Pacific NW, but still free range). They were possibly a bit on the old side of ideal but I've poached old eggs before and have never had this issue.

Wondering if it was the induction that caused it? If so, suggestions for how to compensate?

Sarah is a trusted source on General Cooking.

asked about 4 years ago
Wholefoods user icon

What was your elevation? Were you up high someplace? Water boils at a lower temperature at high elevations - maybe there was a weird interaction between the induction cooking and the elevation...

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I don't think it's the induction cooktop, because unlike electric burners they should hold a constant simmer.

A month or so back I had a similar problem, using very fresh local eggs. Practically everybody who answered suggested the same thing, eggs too old. But I discovered one answer that I think may be the right one. Contrarian as it sounds the eggs might have been too young. Did you have any trouble with the albumen clinging to the inside of the shell when you broke them open?

Like yourself, I've poached a huge number of eggs and this one totally stumped me.