Pie crust, freezer to oven?

I'm using a recipe that requires me to freeze my pie crust, in the pie plate, for about half an hour before baking. Do I have to worry about the pie plate cracking in the oven?

asked by Jennifer over 2 years ago

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Is it a glass pie plate? You don't have to worry about the plate cracking if it's Pyrex(I've done this a number of times without no problem.)

Leslie Stephens
Leslie Stephens

Assistant Editor, Food52

Yes depending on what it's made out of, if it isn't made out of a strong glass like borosilicate, you may want to bring it to room temperature just to be safe or use an aluminum pan that you can get from any grocery store!

Kenzi Wilbur

Also if you're worried, chill it in the freezer for only 15 minutes—this will do the trick for what the recipe is trying to achieve. (Cold cold cold butter will create more steam as it bakes, which is what creates the layers in a flaky pie crust.)