Frozen glass pie plate

If my pie crusts are in a glass pie pan, how can I still manage to freeze the pie crust before blind baking in a 425 oven without cracking the pan?

asked by Ariail almost 2 years ago

Micki Balder
Micki Balder

Micki is a software engineer at Food52

Hi Ariail! Have you already frozen the pie crusts? I'll often pop mine in the freezer for just a little bit if they're getting warm/soft (and never long enough to risk cracking the pan when cooking). You shouldn't need to freeze them beyond that.

Micki Balder
Micki Balder

Micki is a software engineer at Food52

In fact, if you have the time chilling them in the refrigerator is probably preferable.

I've done it before and got away with it, but I don't know I'd try it again: don't remember why I froze it, either, but there was some good reason. You could freeze it, and pop it out of the plate and put it on a cookie sheet or something (it will be pretty solid when frozen) while you warm up the pie pan, then put it back in right before baking.