Can I make an apple pie today and leave it out on the counter for tomorrow?

asked by andshecookstoo almost 3 years ago

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Yes, I think if you're planning to eat it tomorrow, it should be fine to keep it on the counter, lightly covered with plastic wrap. Beyond that, I'd keep it in the fridge and then rewarm it in the oven before serving.

Micki Balder
Micki Balder

Micki is a software engineer at Food52

As long as there's no custard in it or anything like that, I say go for it! The fridge tends to mess with the crust anyways.

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

I would recommend, though, taking precautions against a soggy pie crust if you're going to leave the pie sitting for several hours! You could drain the apples, then reduce their juices in a saucepan! You could also par-bake the crust: https://food52.com/blog...

Cav
Cav

Yes. Just don't leave it to cool on a windowsill where any passing cartoon character can snaffle it.

(let it cool completely before covering it in anything. Steam will destroy the crust)