Last day! Take 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go grant some wishes » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

advance gravy

I bought a wing, a thigh, a neck and a drumstick yesterday, and proceeded to try to make gravy. I read that it was best to put the pieces right on top of vegetables, which I did. I ended up with maybe a pint of gravy after mixing the drippings with turkey broth. What is the best way to cook pieces to get pan drippings? I already have my broth in advance.

asked by jo joe about 1 year ago
5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Are you using a roux? Your roux amount will determine your gravy yield. So 2 Ts of butter and flour cooked into a roux will thicken 2 cups of stock well. If you need more than this, just scale up! Pan drippings can be either added in place of the butter, OR stirred in at the end.

In this case, I used a roux. If I had enough, I may have just let it go Au Jus. Right now I decided to roast a couple of more drum sticks, and a wing. Only this time I put them on a rack with water and some chicken bullion below them. I felt like my gravy yield was determined by the amount of pan drippings combined with the turkey broth, and my drippings were meager.