🔕 🔔

mushroom vs vegetable broth

When should I use mushroom broth instead of vegetable stock?

asked by Jennifer about 1 year ago

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

When you prefer the mushroom flavor.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

were you been cv?

I'm an Internet nomad, been checking out some other place.

I probably won't be here much longer. My feet are feeling like it's time to move on.

As you know, I'm not much of a recipe person, looking for more in-depth articles about technique as well as food coverage on a more global perspective, not just an American-centric cocoon.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

The flavor profile is different. What are you making with the broth/stock?

To add onto this, my question was really meant to be generic. Recipes will usually call for vegetable stock, but you can get flavor boosts by modifying the quantities and adding other flavor profiles.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I like mushroom stock with meaty dishes, I like the deep umami flavor of mushrooms. I think of vegetable stock as a more neutral base. I think mushroom broth can overpower more delicate dishes. at least that is my opinion, so I would think about the other flavors you are using before using one or the other. I hope that give you more insight.

F83774ec c18a 46a4 8dff 00877f15aed6  image
Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

Vegetable broth has more sweetness than mushroom broth, which as others have mentioned is heavy on the umami, but virtually devoid of sweetness. Mushroom broth can give backbone to a dish that already has a lot of vegetal sweetness.

Kristen W.

Kristen W. is a trusted home cook.

...though as Phil points out you do sacrifice delicacy.