🔕 🔔

I'm making gingerbread. I want to use some crystallized ginger (not in syrup) that was opened and expired 7/09. It's a little dry, but not mold and still tastes fine. Okay to use?

asked by Carecooks almost 7 years ago

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

It's probably essentially fine, since it's been preserved with a sugar syrup to make it crystallized (think similar to a canned jam), especially if you've stored it in the fridge all this time. It could still mold though and that's something I try not to mess with because mold starts unseen. Verdict: I wouldn't use it because it's over a year past the expiration date and I personally don't like to risk things that far from expiration dates.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

Should be fine. May not be as potent as it was when new; you may want to taste a tiny piece and see.

Deac5e85 ab6c 4739 826e c35688e6f154  l1020855

If you rehydrate it in the wet ingredients you probably will be fine.It keeps a long time,and is one of those ingredients who's sell by date is relative.Chrystalized ginger stays potent much better than ground. You'll be fine.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I've periodically tried to make sense of expiration dates. Some are real, and some are not. I can't think what would make crystallized ginger go bad in a way that it would be unsafe. Dry, yes. But if it's getting dry, that would indicate less of a mold risk than if it were moist. And even if moist--I'd keep jams in my refrigerator for a long, long time, and not worry about mold until I saw it. So rehydrate it as CHeeb suggests, or powder it, if it's really dry. Or just chop it finely, and expect it to rehydrate in the gingerbread. If anyone can point to some data, I'd love to see it.

I haven't kept it in the fridge, but my gut tells me that it's just fine. (Hopefully, it won't tell me anything bad later). I'm gonna go with it. Thanks for the super speedy replies.

B6a74962 31fc 4e50 b866 0ea34483cfb8  fb avatar

I acquired some from my mother in laws kitchen. It was about 10 years old! Not as intense as new, but tasty. The sugar is a preservative and will prevent critters from growing.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

The date you saw probably was based on how long it would stay moist and chewy, not to some kind of spoilage. Dates can be "best by/before" or "dead by" (for lack of a technical term) -- in this case, it will live forever, but dry out. Crystallized ginger does not need refrigeration.
Sometimes dried fruit looks as if it is moldy (white crusty stuff), but that is sugar from the fruit that has migrated to the surface as it continues to dry out, where it crystallizes.

The gingerbread came out great. I think that the old stuff was fine. Unfortunately, one guest at the dinner party didn't like gingerbread. What can you do? And thanks for all the great answers...including 10 year old ginger. Wow!