Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

pumpkin pie design

Hi!
I wanted to use thanksgiving themed cutters to put some pie dough on top of a pumpkin pie. If I do this, when should I lay the dough on top of the pie? (I am going to blind bake the bottom pie crust for a while, do i need to do this for the top cutouts too?)

asked by bridget about 1 year ago
D0abaf68 a3aa 4105 a15a 732c3fd0d9ee  186158

hi bridget! yes, you should blind bake the decorative pieces, too. if you'll be applying the cutouts to the crust, you can stick them on the unbaked dough before blind baking it. this article might help! https://food52.com/blog...

And/or you could bake a bunch of them and serve one to each person, the way people garnish sorbet with a wafer cookie.

I totally agree with Nancy, especially if, by "cutouts" you mean pieces of dough to put on top of the pie. Pumpkin pie is a custard. I would not put dough on a custard.

That said, putting small shapes around the edges, as demonstrated in the linked article suggested by Caroline, would seem the best way to proceed if you want to decorate with cutout pieces of dough. ;o)

agree with Antonia about putting cut-outs on the rim.
But/and if you do that you'll need to make them very small. So, depends on the size of available cookie cutters, time, patience.
Also, on 2nd thought, I might skip these as the wafer-garnish, because you've already got a pie crust, and these meals are usually replete with carbs.
On the 3rd hand, maybe make a pumpkin pudding (no crust) and serve the cookies with that.

And one more thought on this: putting cutouts on a pie edge can be tricky, especially small ones, because they all have to be exactly the same thickness or you end up with some that are browner than others, which is kind of a not-so-good look. ;o)