Pre-prepping yeast rolls

I want to make my rolls the night before (the oatmeal molasses rolls from this site). Is it better to freeze them or just put them in the fridge after they're shaped but before the 2nd rise? Will they overproof if left in the fridge overnight?

asked by Rachel Crawford over 2 years ago

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

I wouldn't freeze them! They'll be fine in the fridge overnight after step 4 (before the shaping). But it would also be fine to shape the rolls (step 5) and allow to rise in the fridge overnight. I'd hold off on buttering and sprinkling with oats until the morning. And let the rolls come to room temperature before you bake them!

Hope that helps!

Rachel Crawford

Thank you!

Really, really important however if you are shaping tonight and putting in the fridge, to do the following:

Get them into the fridge ASAP after shaping. You don't want them to rise too fast. .
Very thoroughly butter or oil the plastic wrap you use to cover them, as they will stick, stick, stick to it if you don't, and that will create a challenge you really don't want to deal with tomorrow morning.

Let us know how they turn out, please. And have a wonderful Thanksgiving! ;o)

Rachel Crawford

Thank you! I've made them before with great success but never in advance, so just wanted to make sure I didn't have any surprises. Good tip on the buttered plastic wrap, definitely would have forgotten to do that :-)