🔕 🔔

Heavenly Oatmeal-Molasses Rolls

I made and froze a big batch of this recipe by Monkeymom for last Thanksgiving - they were 'heavenly.' I'd like to do it again this year, but happen to have several packets of Rapid Rise yeast on hand. How do I adapt the recipe which calls for regular yeast? Amount, process, rise time, etc.? Would love advice from one of the bread-making afficionados here!

asked about 4 years ago

The usual substitution is 1 teaspoon instant (rapid rise) - 1 1/4 teaspoon active dry. The times should all be the same. You don't need to moisten instant yeast in advance, as you do with active dry, because instant does not have the coating on it that the active dry has, which needs to be dissolved before the yeast will start to work its magic. It wouldn't hurt, however, especially as doing so will allow you to confirm that the yeast is still good. ;o)

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Exactly the advice I needed - thanks so much! (Can't believe it's almost time to start baking for Thanksgiving. How did that happen?)

It's on my mind, too! The time is just flying by. Thanksgiving will be here before we know it. I'm considering these rolls for Thanksgiving, too. Did you bake them and then freeze, or make the dough and let it rise, shape and rise again before freezing, unbaked? I'm trying to figure out the best order of operations here . . . Thanks! ;o)

I baked them before I froze them. They were great, but I don't know how it compares to freezing them before baking; to be honest, I'm not the most experienced bread baker, and didn't know you could even do that!

Sort of related via molasses - do you (or anyone here) happen to have a good recipe for Anadama Bread? I used to make it as a teenager, but haven't in years. Have had a hankering lately!