Our NYC Holiday Market is open—this weekend only! Come see us »
🔕 🔔

Dinner postponed/cancelled due to medical emergency. Is it ok to sit in fridge for a day or so?

I have a whole bird brined. I pulled it out of brine this morning and was just about to apply rub and smoke it when I got a call that my Dad is in ER. Needless to say, our dinner has been postponed/cancelled but I want to know what I should do w/ my bird. Should I just let it sit, air-chilled in fridge? Should I apply rub first, hoping that I can smoke it tomorrow? Any suggestions?

asked by jsegal about 1 year ago
5dd58b70 52d5 415a 8478 ba9053b33e62  kenzi
Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

Ahh! I am so sorry to hear this. We've got your back. Sit tight.

Kenzi Wilbur

Kenzi is the Managing Editor of Food52.

So: Your bird will be 100% fine air-chilled in the fridge. I would apply the rub now if you have your heart set on it later—the dryer the skin gets as the bird air chills, the more difficult it might be to apply the rub. Otherwise, go! Is there anything else you have questions about holding? Can a neighbor come watch it in the smoker while you go so it's all ready for you when you get back? Sending many thoughts and virtual pies.

E77b8b7b 7eba 4f63 ae6c dc7d557047d7  jbs vorovoro

Thanks, Kenzi...decided to start the smoke and cook since there's very little else to do at the moment. Nancy's suggestion about bringing food to hospital later for family and staff there is a great suggestion. I'm very appreciative of you help and advice.

If you have the time, cook all the food that was prepared but not cooked.
If you don't have the time (or the ability to focus, given the upheaval and worry about your Dad), have someone else do it.
The cook can then safely store these foods for eating Friday, Saturday or whenever.
Or pack some to take to the family keeping watch at the hospital. And some more for the emergency staff, so many of whom give up their holidays to be there for the rest of us.

Great suggestion to bring food to family and staff. Thank you, Nancy.

So sorry about your emergency. I'd do what the others suggested.

962dcb2f 231b 429c a997 89b3d657bf84  fb avatar

I'm sorry about your dad! Hopefully everything turns out ok