smoked pulled chicken recipe

my boyfriend and i are planning to do a lot of smoking this weekend (we have a big chief smoker with apple chips). does anyone have a good recipe for pulled chicken that i can use with smoked chicken? thanks!

boulangere September 2, 2011

I do this often with pork. Go ahead and smoke the chicken first, then brown it nicely, and finally give it a good long, slow braise. Use the Search and enter braised chicken for some lovely ideas. Sounds wonderful!

Tony S
Tony S September 2, 2011

You can treat this almost like you would for pork.

Step 1- Butterfly chicken
Step 2- Brine or season chicken with a simple rub of salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika.
Step 3- Get smoker to 225 - 250 degrees
Step 4- Put chicken in skin side down for about 1.5 hours
Step 5- Baste chicken with a mix of 1 part apple juice, 1 part cider vinegar, and 3 parts water. Add some salt or hot sauce to baste so you do not wash off all flavor.
Step 5- Flip to skin side up for about 2.5 more hours, the real key here is measuring temperature. Pull the chicken when the breast meat is 165.
Step 6- Let rest until cool enough to pull

student epicure
student epicure September 3, 2011

thanks for the suggestions! i had also been considering approaching the chicken as i would pork, so good to get some confirmation. i'll let you know how it goes!