🔕 🔔

uses for molasses

how do you use up a few tablespoons left in the bottom of the jar?

asked by Caroline Lange over 1 year ago

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

My favorite use for molasses is for a glaze, with bay leaves, whiskey, peppercorns, and mustard. Sometimes cider... I used it on ham and ribs.

88afa98e fd9c 4e61 af72 03658638b6cb  eight ball 600px

Yeah, BBQ sauce works well. No rush to finish it up though, it won't go bad.

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

Add to Brown butter frosting (or any frosting, royal icing), whipped cream, Old English Hard Sauce for a topping for cakes or make some baked beans. Make a glaze for roasted vegetables such as carrots and onions or roasted acorn squash with butter.

Toast a slice of good bread, slather with butter, then spoon on the molasses.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I just saw that someone (I can't remember where I saw it) made a vegetarian French onion soup with vegetable broth and a couple of tablespoons of molasses.

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Definitely add to whatever base cookie/sweet recipe you've got going on - chocolate chip cookies (Mrslarkin's chubby chewy chocolate chip cookies have molasses I think), brownies, whatever. I just added a T to my banana bread that I made this weekend. It sort of acts like brown sugar and gives a bit of depth to your sweets.

You can make your own brown sugar in a pinch. Ratios all over the internet. It's nice because you can make it as golden or dark as you'd like.

Bourbon balls! I made the Bourbon Balls from the Garden and Gun's new cookbook "The Southerner's Cookbook" for Thanksgiving. I subbed out the 1/4 cup of corn syrup with half molasses and honey and it was great.

2525f653 b225 4c8f 9925 212187a6f013  2aea6da

gingerbread cookies!

Instead of sugar in hot chocolate - best with high quality dark chocolate. Makes an incredible non-dairy hot chocolate for those not looking for creamy comfort, just deep beautiful flavor. ;o)

I substitute molasses for honey in these chocolate bourbon balls, posted by Amanda Hesser: https://food52.com/recipes... Scrumptious.

Also, last week I made a classic almond toffee -- butter / brown sugar / chopped nuts / melted dark chocolate -- in which I subbed two tablespoons of molasses for two tablespoons of brown sugar. Best toffee I've ever made. ;o)