uses for molasses

how do you use up a few tablespoons left in the bottom of the jar?

QueenSashy November 29, 2015

My favorite use for molasses is for a glaze, with bay leaves, whiskey, peppercorns, and mustard. Sometimes cider... I used it on ham and ribs.

702551
702551 November 29, 2015

Yeah, BBQ sauce works well. No rush to finish it up though, it won't go bad.

sexyLAMBCHOPx November 29, 2015

Add to Brown butter frosting (or any frosting, royal icing), whipped cream, Old English Hard Sauce for a topping for cakes or make some baked beans. Make a glaze for roasted vegetables such as carrots and onions or roasted acorn squash with butter.

Maedl November 30, 2015

Toast a slice of good bread, slather with butter, then spoon on the molasses.

drbabs November 30, 2015

I just saw that someone (I can't remember where I saw it) made a vegetarian French onion soup with vegetable broth and a couple of tablespoons of molasses.

Niknud
Niknud November 30, 2015

Definitely add to whatever base cookie/sweet recipe you've got going on - chocolate chip cookies (Mrslarkin's chubby chewy chocolate chip cookies have molasses I think), brownies, whatever. I just added a T to my banana bread that I made this weekend. It sort of acts like brown sugar and gives a bit of depth to your sweets.

Susan W November 30, 2015

You can make your own brown sugar in a pinch. Ratios all over the internet. It's nice because you can make it as golden or dark as you'd like.

Stephanie G
Stephanie G November 30, 2015

Bourbon balls! I made the Bourbon Balls from the Garden and Gun's new cookbook "The Southerner's Cookbook" for Thanksgiving. I subbed out the 1/4 cup of corn syrup with half molasses and honey and it was great.

Stephanie G
Stephanie G November 30, 2015

Emily Love
Emily Love December 2, 2015

gingerbread cookies!

AntoniaJames December 2, 2015

Instead of sugar in hot chocolate - best with high quality dark chocolate. Makes an incredible non-dairy hot chocolate for those not looking for creamy comfort, just deep beautiful flavor. ;o)

AntoniaJames December 15, 2015

I substitute molasses for honey in these chocolate bourbon balls, posted by Amanda Hesser: https://food52.com/recipes... Scrumptious.

Also, last week I made a classic almond toffee -- butter / brown sugar / chopped nuts / melted dark chocolate -- in which I subbed two tablespoons of molasses for two tablespoons of brown sugar. Best toffee I've ever made. ;o)