🔕 🔔

OK, fellow picklers. I need to know if I've ruined something beyond repair (no biggie if I have), or if it can be rescued. I was making bread this morning, and I decided while I had everything out, I'd drag out the food processor and make up a batch of pizza dough. Except...I forgot to put in the yeast. So I have a lump of dough, presently reposing in the fridge, that's 3 cups of flour, a teaspoon of salt, two tablespoons of olive oil and a cup and a quarter of water. Anything I can do with this? Flatbread? Crackers? Or do I just chunk it?

asked by Kayb almost 7 years ago

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

I use a pizza dough-based recipe for making crackers. Instead of the yeast, I put a small bit of baking soda in them (about 1/4 - 1/2 tsp per 1 cup flour, if memory serves). I've never tried adding baking soda to dough post-mixing, but maybe you could accomplish it if you mixed it with a small bit of water? I'm really not sure about that, but it isn't much more waste if it doesn't work. I just roll it out then to 1/4-inch thickness, cut it into squares, sprinkle lightly with salt, and bake. Good luck!

Make a small batch of crackers - season the tops with seeds, etc - and if they are any good, make more! You can also use it as a lid for a baked bean dish or a roast chicken a la Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table cover...

Cfdd183b f2d3 436f abf5 4a8285003ba1  monica

I bet you you could knead in the yeast, maybe make a paste of yeast & a little water first.

Just knead in the yeast. If it's a very stiff dough, add a little water. I've done this before & it turned out fine, in fact you might notice improved flavour over your usual method.

Deac5e85 ab6c 4739 826e c35688e6f154  l1020855

You will be fine adding in the yeast /water slurry after the fact. I often keep pizza dough in the frig for days and it only gets better.Mix it in well and if it is too wet, dry it with flour dusted to proper consistency.It will be springy until stretched flat at room temp...many happy pizzas...

Fff96a46 7810 4f5c a452 83604ac1e363  dsc03010

Wait. . .you mean I'm NOT the only person in the world who's left out the yeast?

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

More than once, I'm afraid. But I usually manage to blame the telephone, the puppy, the pull of Scrabble on Facebook, anything but myself!

Yes, many right answers as far as kneading it in. My basic sourdough recipe calls for kneading in the yeast after intial kneading due to the fact that yeast will lesson the flavor of sour from the sour starter.

B0f2c3df 9bf7 43fc 8544 eb75ba85a60e  kay at lake

OK, folks, as advised, I'm going to try this evenign when I get home from work to knead in the yeast. That'll be about 30 hours after the dough was initially made. Should I then let it go through the usual rising phase before refrigerating it again?

I would let it go through the bulk rise, then shape, proof & bake it tonight.
If you don't have time for this, you can refrigerate the bulk dough or the shaped, unproofed loaves and bake the following day. You might find the bread tastes even better
Bread rising times are very flexible and can be manipulated with temperature changes.