Making Alton browns brine for turkey it calls for candied ginger. I do not have. What can I use in its place

asked by middlej over 5 years ago

You can use fresh ginger -- and if you don't have that, it's probably ok to just skip it.

ChefOno

Or powdered ginger…

CHeeb

the candied ginger is also sugared,so a little sweetener might be in order.

Rachel Kerley

Use fresh or powdered ginger with about a tablespoon of additional granulated sugar would probably be a great substitute. You're already doing yourself a Thanksgiving favor for choosing Alton's brine. This is my third year to use it, and it has never failed to please a crowd! Enjoy!

ChefOno

He's already got a hefty amount of sugar in the mix and only calls for 1 1/2 tsp. candied ginger so…

Rachel Kerley

You're right on that. We actually just finished making our brine for a 30 lb turkey, so I'm thinking in multiples.