making ahead gougeres

is it better with all whole eggs or some whites? can you bake ahead, freeze and reheat?

• Posted by: shahira
  • November 25, 2012

Omeletta
Omeletta November 25, 2012

You can absolutely make ahead, bake and freeze and then reheat when you need them. I love hot gougeres in the morning, and keeping in the freezer makes it easier. As far as the egg question, i think something like this, with a good cheese, is better with whole eggs.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick November 25, 2012

Google Russ Parsons gougeres. LA Times article from December 23, 2010 all about making and freezing gougeres.

Voted the Best Reply!

Sadassa_Ulna
Sadassa_Ulna December 19, 2012

I was very intrigued by the question and the answers, thanks for posting. From the L.A. Times article by Russ Parsons mentioned above: "Form the balls on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone pastry sheet, so they don't stick. Now just put them in the freezer. They'll be frozen solid in a couple of hours, at which point you can transfer them to a tightly sealed plastic bag or food container for longer storage. (They'll keep for at least a few weeks.)"
Parsons (quoting Dorie Greenspan) suggests to "... pop it out whenever you're ready. [...] they take only an extra four or five minutes to bake, straight from the freezer."
These will be great for Christmas Brunch.

ceeteebee
ceeteebee December 19, 2012

I agree with the post above. Dorie Greenspan (in her recipe for gougeres in "Around My French Table") says you can freeze them after forming, but before baking. I've done it and it works excellently.