Hartstone and other stoneware cookie molds

Does anyone have consistent success using Hartstone or other stoneware cookie molds? The recipes I got directly from Hartstone is a Scottish shortbread, and has you pat unchilled dough into the oiled mold and bake-in the mold- for 45 minutes. I did this for the first time last night and felt first that the dough was too soft, and maybe too high a butter ratio to keep a shape. Lastly at 45 minutes they baked up pretty crisp and 'shattery' and i ended up with a bunch of crumbs, and very little molded cookie! I think as a patina develops on the molds cookies will unmold easier, but am looking for some tips for success or recipes to use from someone who has experience using them:)

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon December 9, 2015

Hello Jennifer W.,

I have never used a mold like this for cookies, so I'm sorry I don't have direct experience. But what I do know from using molds in general is that the recipes have to make perfect sense for the vessel its baked in. Shortbread can be tricky in its simplicity! You don't want soft flour or flour softeners (cornstarch, rice flour etc.) in molded shortbread, because, as you noted, it is too tender. Also you can use the very highest quality of butter, but your flour has to be a good match. I might use a ratio that errs on a higher amount of flour for my first few tests with these molds, to ensure the shortbread unfolds & keeps its shape.

I understand what you mean by "seasoning" the mold with constant use, but they should work now, if the ratios in your mixture make a dough that would hold shape, regardless of mold. Like a sugar cookie high in flour will hold its cookie cutter shape.

I hope this helps, even a little! Good for you for trying something old school and different!

Jennifer W
Jennifer W January 30, 2016

It does, thank you! I will post a recipe when I find one that works well!

Nancy December 10, 2015

Some recipes for stoneware molds (including for Hartstone) recommend using the mold to shape pieces of the dough, dusting with flour to repeat until all is shaped, then baking the shortbreads on a cookie sheet.
Maybe worth a try.

Nancy July 27, 2018

For cookie molds, use half liquid sugar and half granulated. Liquid in the form of honey, Karo syrup, molasses, etc. Chill the dough until firm and then roll into the mold. Use a paring knife to remove from mold and chill for a few minutes before baking. It will keep the mold shape and shouldn't rise too much. I bought a cookbook on Amazon by Anne Watson that gives you a lot of tips and recipes for use on ceramic/springerle molds.

Jon Pearson
Jon Pearson December 22, 2018

I have been making these for over 40 years using the Hartstone mold. I have tried making without the mold, taking it out of the mold and baking it that way and have found using the mold is the absolute best way. I have also tried several different recipes and the one in the box is the best one. I make about 8-10 a year at Christmas and a couple for special occasions during the rest of the year and all come out great. Use regular flour, powdered sugar and salted butter and you'll win. Mix it, knead it to putty, don't chill it and put it into the mold. A bit messy, but fun. Bake it at325 for about 45 minutes,cool it,break it loose by inserting the point of a paring knife in several places around the edge and invert it a pretty plate. DON'T MESS WITH THE RECIPE. I don't like the chocolate recipe as it usually sticks.

Sue
Sue December 28, 2018

Jon, can you share the recipe here? I have a hartstone mold but cannot find the recipe any longer - I remember it being simple. Thank you. Sue

Jennifer W
Jennifer W December 29, 2018

This is exactly the kind of experience I was looking for, thank you for posting on an older post!:) I second that- would you mind posting the actual recipe, as simple as it is? I dont have any boxes from my passed down molds.

Jon Pearson
Jon Pearson December 30, 2018

See if this works

Jon Pearson
Jon Pearson December 30, 2018

Here is the recipe

Jennifer W
Jennifer W January 1, 2019

Thank you so much! Im incredibly excited to see if I can finally do these beautiful molds justice!

Jon Pearson
Jon Pearson January 1, 2019

Something went wrong as I don't think the actual recipe posted. I'll try again.

Jennifer W
Jennifer W January 3, 2019

I got the original recipe from Hartstone! Here it is:
Scottish Shortbread
1 1/2 c flour
1/4 c powdered sugar
1/2 LB butter, softened
optional 1/4 c chopped nuts or raisins
Same instructions that you stated above:)