Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

6cb49ef7 38b5 4eb6 aae4 04078f60ca73  how to make a custard part 1
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

added almost 1 year ago

Hello Jennifer W.,

I have never used a mold like this for cookies, so I'm sorry I don't have direct experience. But what I do know from using molds in general is that the recipes have to make perfect sense for the vessel its baked in. Shortbread can be tricky in its simplicity! You don't want soft flour or flour softeners (cornstarch, rice flour etc.) in molded shortbread, because, as you noted, it is too tender. Also you can use the very highest quality of butter, but your flour has to be a good match. I might use a ratio that errs on a higher amount of flour for my first few tests with these molds, to ensure the shortbread unfolds & keeps its shape.

I understand what you mean by "seasoning" the mold with constant use, but they should work now, if the ratios in your mixture make a dough that would hold shape, regardless of mold. Like a sugar cookie high in flour will hold its cookie cutter shape.

I hope this helps, even a little! Good for you for trying something old school and different!

It does, thank you! I will post a recipe when I find one that works well!

Some recipes for stoneware molds (including for Hartstone) recommend using the mold to shape pieces of the dough, dusting with flour to repeat until all is shaped, then baking the shortbreads on a cookie sheet.
Maybe worth a try.