A question about a recipe: Garganelli with Lobster and Caramelized Fennel Purée

F2e2d705 404e 43b4 a323 6d504f5266d3  2017 1129 garganelli with lobster caramelized fennel puree 3x2 mark weinberg 0037

I have a question about the recipe "Garganelli with Lobster and Caramelized Fennel Purée" from Josh Cohen. Fresh or dried pasta?

asked by mstv almost 3 years ago

All pasta initially starts out fresh. Drying is advantageous for distribution and storage, not taste. Pasta producers who make products intended to be dried will typically use different ingredients and recipes than those who make fresh pasta for immediate consumption.

That said the recipe advises the reader to cook the pasta according to the "package instructions." Now if you can find fresh garganelli in your grocery store, you're lucky. I've only seen the dried garganelli. Similar pastas (like penne) are usually dried.

By all means, if you can find fresh garganelli, use it over the dried stuff.

Josh Cohen
Josh Cohen

Food52 Test Kitchen Chef

If you can find/make fresh garganelli, please use it. Otherwise, dried pasta is perfectly fine.