Is it necessary to dry fresh pasta?

When I've attempted to dry fresh pasta, it breaks into little pieces, so I've simply used the pasta immediately or stored in an airtight container without drying. Is there a reason why I shouldn't do this? Thanks!

creamtea February 27, 2012

You don't need to dry it. Sounds like you're doing the right thing. Fresh pasta is a treat.

Mr_Vittles
Mr_Vittles February 27, 2012

Absolutely not. Yet feel free to allow it dry, semolina pasta is the classic choice, but it does not matter too much.

LornaFarris
LornaFarris February 27, 2012

Fresh pasta is a wonderful thing! No need to dry it first... Just remember to use it up relatively quickly because it will go bad at some point.

Voted the Best Reply!

pierino February 27, 2012

It really depends on how you are cutting it for the use you have in mind. Spaghetti or linguine style pastas do benefit from being dried for an hour or so. But you can't shape ravioli or other filled pasta if they've been dried. If you are drying you will need to clear a whole lot of table space. A lack of humidity will cause spaghetti strands to break into bits. Lasagne leaves are fine either way, it just changes the cooking time a bit.

MauraKaras
MauraKaras February 27, 2012

Dont dry it, freeze it!

ChefJune February 28, 2012

I've never heard of drying being recommended for fresh pasta. I've always dusted it with cornmeal and frozen it if I wasn't using it right away.