A question about a recipe: Jessica Fechtor's Five-Fold Challah

2286abe8 41d8 4419 a530 c27374857abd  2015 0825 genius challah bread bobbi lin 8982

I have a question about the recipe "Jessica Fechtor's Five-Fold Challah" from Genius Recipes. How would you adjust for altitude. Will be baking this at either 5,280 or 8,500 feet.

asked by Roz Landsman over 2 years ago

Lindsay-Jean is a Community Editor at Food52.

Hi Roz, I'm sorry you haven't received an answer to this yet, I'm hoping bumping it back up to the top gets some more eyes on it.

If no one else jumps in, it might help to compare to a challah recipe designed for high-altitude baking to see what tweaks you might need to make.

This information from King Arthur's website may be helpful: http://www.kingarthurflour...

Roz Landsman

Thanks, really good info.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Well, I live in Colorado Springs (over a mile above sea level) and I made it just as directed and it turned out just fine. I know that you are supposed to cut back a bit on yeast and fat and up the flour content a bit in general for higher altitude cooking but in this case it didn't seem to make a bit of difference. I have found that cooking temperatures are a bigger issue. I would recommend bumping up the cooking temperature about 10-15 degrees and cutting back on the cooking time a bit. In my experience the ingredient amounts make less of a difference at altitude than the cooking temps/times. It can take me YEARS (ok exaggerating just a tad) to cook beans/lentils. Ugh. Good luck!

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

I should say, however, now that I re-read your question, that at 8500 feet above sea level I have no idea.....that's up there with the mountain goats and aspen trees. Things get a bit different at that much of an altitude.

Roz Landsman

I was thinking of trying this in Aspen but think I will make it in Denver first. Good to know you didn't need to make big adjustments.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Yah, in Denver you should be good to go - it's actually a little lower than the Springs. Hope it turns out well - let me know!