jonakocht

They are likely to just be a bit softer than usual, but otherwise I wouldn't expect any drastic or unpalatable changes.

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon

Shuna is a pastry chef in New York City and author of the acclaimed blog Eggbeater.

Hi Randi,
Depending on the method, they might leech out some of their fat and be a bit more slick. Or they may be softer. Or both, plus richer. I wouldn't worry about it too too much. Most people would credit you for making them better!

Randi

Thanks. Science of cooking is fascinating. Here's what happened in case anyone is curious. As the caramel cooled the excess butter pooled at the top. I was able to pour much of it off. When it was 100% cooled I was able to scrape off the unabsorbed extra butter that had solidified. The caramels are delicious!