I accidentally made 3 cups of sticky (glutinous) rice instead of regular rice. What should I do with it?

It's already cooked and kind of on the sticky side.

asked by shaska over 7 years ago

foongfest

What I would do:

1. Serve it with a curry or stew

2. Mix in some chopped meat, mushrooms and soy sauce (or do it in a pan fried rice style)
Kind of like a fried rice style. It won't really be like regular fried rice but more like Chinese savory glutinous rice (lor mai fun)

3. Add more liquids to it and make a rice pudding.

Panfusine

add a tin of condensed milk, some crushed cardamom, mix well, & heat it to make rice pudding.

shaska

thanks for the suggestions! rice pudding is sounding really good. off to buy some cardamom.

beyondcelery

Instead of condensed milk, I used a high-fat coconut milk for my rice pudding. It's delicious with sticky rice!

clintonhillbilly

Sprinkle with rice vinegar, and use it to make sushi!

a Whole Foods Market Customer

Rock On Cooking Comunity! These are great suggestions, ALL OF THEM! Don't forget that even though it is sticky rice and not the rice you intended to cook it would still fit into the dish with minimal coaxing.
I often find out a secret tip or trick that way. The best dishes are often born from mistakes!
Sticky rice cakes would be awesome as well.
mix 2 C. of cooked rice with:
2 eggs
3/4 C flour
diced scallion and red pepper
mix well to form a thick dough like batter.
pan sear in oil on both sides until brown and crisp.
mistake made meal!

nutcakes

Sushi-Roll Rice Salad on epicurious.com is delishious! Great for a potluck too.
http://www.epicurious.com...

sarah k.

Oh, how this makes me miss the Philippine sticky-rice dessert called malagkit. It's just sticky rice with coconut milk and brown sugar, sometimes wrapped in tiny banana leaf packets. I freaking love that stuff.

Or, there's the typical low-end Thai restaurant dessert, sticky rice with a little coconut milk poured over it, served with sliced mangos.

If you're tired of 'doing' -- freeze what you haven't used yet in 1 or 2 cup portions.

CookOnTheFly

Make some cheater "Sekihan" (Japanese celebratory rice) by steaming it a bit to warm it up. Before steaming add about 1/4 cup of canned, cooked azuki beans to the rice. Alternatively, add a little water to the rice and beans in a microwaves-safe container and heat that way. Sprinkle with a little sea salt and some black sesame seeds.