Alice Medrich's Cocoa Brownies

The butter is melted but the mixture is not yet smooth... Any thoughts on how long the butter mixture should cook in the hot water bath? Thanks!

asked by DebJ over 2 years ago

nashama

I've made these for years - once the butter is melted and the mixture is homogenous I take it off the water bath. It will become smooth and glossy once you add in the remaining ingredients and mix well. They're the best brownies!

nashama

I should add that I do wait to remove from heat until the mixture is hot, as directed. But it will still be grainy at that point.
Good luck!

As Nashama said, the mixture doesn't become smooth until the eggs are added. Also, I have never gotten it hot enough to want to pull my finger away when I touch it. They are great brownies, but those two items in the recipe are misleading.

I second (third?) nashama and Susan W - I make these brownies all the time and they're terrific - but "smooth" is a relative term.

DebJ

thank you all so much. Very helpful, and reassuring.