Alice Medrich's Cocoa Brownies

The butter is melted but the mixture is not yet smooth... Any thoughts on how long the butter mixture should cook in the hot water bath? Thanks!

• Posted by: DebJ
  • December 21, 2015

nashama
nashama December 21, 2015

I've made these for years - once the butter is melted and the mixture is homogenous I take it off the water bath. It will become smooth and glossy once you add in the remaining ingredients and mix well. They're the best brownies!

nashama
nashama December 21, 2015

I should add that I do wait to remove from heat until the mixture is hot, as directed. But it will still be grainy at that point.
Good luck!

Susan W December 21, 2015

As Nashama said, the mixture doesn't become smooth until the eggs are added. Also, I have never gotten it hot enough to want to pull my finger away when I touch it. They are great brownies, but those two items in the recipe are misleading.

amysarah December 21, 2015

I second (third?) nashama and Susan W - I make these brownies all the time and they're terrific - but "smooth" is a relative term.

DebJ
DebJ December 21, 2015

thank you all so much. Very helpful, and reassuring.