What kind of wash can I use to give my vegan challah a nice shine? I've tried suggestions I found elsewhere: water, oil, corn starch. None of them shine like egg whites

asked by WatertownBaker almost 8 years ago

TiggyBee

Have you tried soy products? Milk or cream for example?

Have you tried sugar and water (brushing it on toward the end of baking)?

allie

Maple syrup!

allie

Also, can you post your vegan challah? For vegan friends, I adapted an eggless challah from The Blessing of Bread by Maggie Glazer, but always am looking for more options.

pottedherbs

As an egg-allergic person I would also love to see your recipe!

lapadia

A couple of thoughts:

Non-diastatic malt powder gives baked goods better flavor and a shinier, browner crust. It's used in everything from bagels to croissants to breakfast cereals. It can be found online at King Arthur.

In addition I use a butter flavor cooking spray (I like the Crisco brand), spray on before baking and again right out of the oven – attached an example of a bread I baked using the cooking spray...crisco brand gives shine and a nice extra flavor.