Boosting Healthfulness of This Dessert -What To Add?

I am experimenting with Black Thai Sticky Rice as I move to replace all white rice from my life. I love this black rice cooked in coconut milk with cardamom seeds and a bit of demerara. But coconut milk is wicked fatty, I know, and I will be trying a low fat coconut milk version. But what could I add to this pudding-like dish to significantly up its healthfulness. (No greens plse). Would wheat germ or chia seeeds or flaxmeal or prunes- be good for this goal or are there things with more nutritive punch I should consider? or maybe I'm just dreaming here? What would you suggest and why? Thank you v much for your help.

asked by LE BEC FIN almost 3 years ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

LE BEC FIN - This sounds delicious! I first had black rice while visiting Bali, Indonesia for 2 months. I enjoyed eating the warm rice with full-fat coconut with a bit of sugar and topped with fresh mangos and dragon fruit. Since those aren't local fruits in the states I like your idea of prunes for the added sweetness. Since you don't want the full-fat coconut milk the low fat version should work just fine. One of the reasons that I enjoyed eating this for breakfast is because the black rice is known to be very healthy by itself. It's quite a soft meal by itself, so adding seeds or flax meal might give it a nice crunch. You've already come up with some great ideas, I'd say go for it and let us know what worked and what didn't.

Halve the serving portion and add some fresh fruit.

That's the easiest way to make this more nutritious and healthier without compromising the integrity of the rice dish.

Small portions of rich things. The French and Viennese eat pastries. The Italy is the home of pasta. But they don't bust their guts with mountains of this stuff.

rt21

How about topping with some toasted nuts for crunch and added protein

Personally, I would not switch to low fat. I would go for smaller portions instead. My brother, who lives in Bali part time, makes it with palm sugar and tops it with Mango (sometimes from my Mom's tree in San Diego) or persimmon and chopped macadamia nuts. Sometimes he goes wild and toasts up some unsweetened coconut to sprinkle on top.

SeasonToTaste

For more nutrients, but not necessarily lower fat, you might consider soaked and pureed cashews. A dried fruit would be an authentic add-in. And if you really want to lighten it, how about something like pumpkin or some other winter squash?

Natalie

You could definite add flax for more fiber -- this will help make it more filling! I agree with those above who say not to skip out on the full-fat coconut milk. Fat is not to be feared. In fact, fuller fat products keep you fuller longer as well. Portion control.

Adding to the chorus...agree with NOT going low fat. When people do that, recipes often lack satisfying mouth feel, so they eat more or more sweets. Better to have some fat and smaller portions, as cv & SusanW suggest.
I would serve with more tropical fruits & nuts/seeds, in addition to or in rotation with the mangos and cashews mentioned so far.