A Mirepoix by Any Other Name............

I've been making a lot of soups lately, and then my annual Beouf Bourgignon last night. So many things that I cook start off with a mirepoix- onion, carrot, celery. This got me wondering- what is the morepoix equivalent in other cuisines? IIRC, the Puerto Ricans use a Recaido(?) as a base for many/most of their dishes. I know China is a gigantic country with myriad different cuisines, but is Ginger and Garlic - the Chinese mirepoix? Ditto the diversity of India, but is Ginger and onions, cumin and corander-- the Indian mirepoix? Perhaps it makes no sense to generalize, but plse do chirp in with your own thoughts!.....

asked by LE BEC FIN almost 3 years ago

Here you go, knock yourself out (BTW Latin & Italian are soffrito):

http://www.seriouseats...

http://www.foodnetwork...

http://www.thekitchn.com...

Kim McB

Note: Soffritto, not to be confused with Sofrito

Well, there's the Cajun Holy Trinity, onion celery and green pepper. A sofrito is somewhat along the same lines.

Jona @AssortedBites

That's an interesting thought. In Albanian cuisine, which is where I am from, the most typical dishes start by frying onions, garlic and tomatoes ( or tomato paste) in extra virgin olive oil, and maybe a bay leaf . Then you add the meat, and then the veggies, some water and let it cook for an hour or so.

C Sangueza

In Bolivia we call it ahogado. It starts with onion, garlic, and tomato and often includes cumin and either red or yellow chilies (aji). It is the base for a lot of things, or can be a sauce over meats.

I need to check out some Bolivia recipes. The flavor profile sounds delicious!

C Sangueza

sexyLAMBCHOPx, I mostly learned from cooking with my in-laws but the best books in English that I know of are: The South American Table by Maria Baez Kijac, and La Gran Cocina Latina by Maricel Presilla. I don't know of any that are specific to Bolivia except those written there.

boymeetsgirlmeetsfood

Our traditional Indian base (as passed down by my mother) combines mustard seeds, cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, red onion and tomato. It's the base of every curry I make, and keeps in the freezer so well!

It doesn't have a name, but many Jewish dishes started (before the age of margarine & Crisco) with a base of schmaltz & onions. This mixture doesn't have a name. But it is back in use, both by those worried about hydrogenated fats and by fans of artisanal and traditional foods.
Nice article on Michael Ruhlman role in this revival:
http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and-religion/120987/the-finest-of-the-fats

great read. thx for the link.